From:
"Juliana Quadrozzi - Georgia Domestic Ferret Association (GDFA)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Dec 1996 23:51:23 -050
>From:    "M. JOYT" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Pucking out food

CROCK LOCKS!  If you attach these dishes a little high, so your fuzzpucker
has to stand up to eat, guess what?  Unless she figures out how to get
really abmitious & climb up on top of the dish, she can't dig it out.  CLs
are heavy duty plastic, screw-on lock dishes.  Nope, they can't knock them
over either.  They come in lots of pretty colors to coordinate that designer
cage look.  The icing on the cake is you can throw them in the dishwasher.
They don't promote them for ferrets (why I don't know) - they're bird
dishes.  The 10 oz size runs between $6 & $8, & the 20 zo size $8 & $12.  It
pays for itself in no time in the cost of wasted food saved.

>From:    "marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:  I am trying to figure out what the "chain of command" is for
>animal control and what, or who's policy they are following.  Or is it up
>to the individual counties?

That's the way it is in GA.  Policy is written by the individual counties &
voted upon by the county board.  & counties have the authority to override
state policy w/more stringent regulations, but cannot legalize policy
restricted by the state.  The same might be true in states like TX where
there are counties restricting frits.

That's what happend here when the state of GA legalized ferret ownership in
'91, my county passed an ordinance banning possession (there was no policy
in the county before that time since the state banned them already).  The
ban was written into the ordinances by the long-standing director who hated
ferrets.  I had spoken to him several years before & he told me he would do
anything in his power to keep the nasty vermin out.  He died soon after & we
had no trouble having ferrets removed from the restriction.  No one else in
my county animal control or humane society has any problem w/frits & we work
well together.

In my county, animal control officers are county police officers assigned a
tour (of duty) to animal control.  In watching the local news here, I
understand county animal control officers can be elected or appointed
depending on the county, & not all counties even have animal control.

Juliana
Frodo, Rocks, Anola Gay, SNAFU, FUBAR, Tabu, Chaos & Tuxedo *i want more
plastic bags for xmas*