From:
"Nancy L. Silvernale" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 1995 07:58:50 -0400
Hi, Everyone!

MANY thanks to everyon who responded about the fold-up cages ... I will be
checking into all recommendations!

This past weekend, I received two (free) ferrets from an old friend who
said his roommate wanted to get rid of them (young male and female)
because he didn't have time for them (they were let out of their cage 2/3
times A WEEK!)

I took them with the intention of giving them to the shelter to adopt out
(when they get some room).

BUT ..  the problem is that he said the female ..  nips.  No big deal I
thought, been nipped before.  But when I first held her, she was quiet and
wasn't trying to get away, but when I held her up to my face (FIRST
MISTAKE), she BIT!  And she did it with such ferocity, that she started to
SHAKE HER HEAD (like they do with each other's necks with they are
"playing"!!!

Blood took on a whole new meaning .. I thought she pierced my nose!  Even
worse, I was stupid enough to let her get close enough to do it again!!!
This time it was two punctures in my chin!

I've never been bit like that!  Like my SUBJECT states .. I've been spoiled
by my babies.

So .. if my memory serves me correctly from listening to other FML'ers,
I know I could have it worse (i.e., leather gloves for handling).   But,
I guess I'm supposed to handle her often, let her lick Ferratone from my
hand, and reassure her with soothing words (WHEN SHE'S NOT BITEING!!!).

I know there is no way she can be adopted out like that!  The male is so
sweet and laid back .. I don't know how he puts up with her!

As for the squeeky ball we have that my babies pay absolutely NO attention
to ..  she attacked my hand (no bloood this time, just welts).
So NOW I know what you all were talking about a while ago when it came to
squeeky toys!!

Any additional helpful hints on how to "break her" will be greatly
appreciated!

Nancy