From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 1996 06:35:44 -0500
If life were romantic fiction Meltdown would be gone.  It's not, and we're
happy to still have her here with us, but afraid for her at the same time.
She's stable again, and out of pain.  We hope that lasts until she is lucky
enough to just move on gently.  At least we can hug each other in the bad
times now that Steve's back.

Please, accept my apologies for burdening you, but thank you for being the
sort of people who will do what you can to help.  Whether that will help her
I can't know, but it helps me, and perhaps having me feel less stressed
helps her.  And maybe it does help her; how can I know?  Although we're
specks of star dust, we're specks all the same.  I love science and that
lets me revel in how much there is to learn, but sometimes when the lack of
knowledge means I can't help those I love I curse my ignorance.  Both
knowledge and belief are limited by our being mere humans, and neither
should deride the other for that reason.  Which way reality spins out is
something well beyond us.  Others will feel differently in either direction;
Steve is not one who hopes for a power in hope itself.  All any of us can do
is to be ourselves and still love each other and ourselves because of and
despite that.  Accept this as just my quirk, okay?

So, please, continue to do us the favor of hoping that Meltdown will not go
into congestive heart failure but will pass easily of her heart arrhthmia
when the time is right for her.  If the worst does happen we will get her a
mercy shot, but we'd like her to leave easily and without any pain.

Don't think we are ignoring you if we don't reply.  Recently there has been
time to only skim the list; now there might not be time for that, either.
Just knowing you are there helps both of us.  Steve and I both find your
care a relief, and I tend to have hope for something I can't know.

When Ruffle died one of our friends found out a good while afterward and
that might have made her hurt worse.  If you know of any friends of our's
who might not read the list regularly, could you, please, tell them?
There's enough pain already without hurting someone accidently that way,
too.

Thanks again,
Sukie