From:
brenda schrecengost <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 15:19:45 GMT
>I wish colleges, parents and students paid more attention to this very sad
>problem of college pets,( especially ferrets )when the students go home on
>break or graduate, what happens to the pets >abandoned by thoughtless
>students?

Colleges DO pay attention to this.  All University housing I know of does
not allow pets, unless they can be held underwater for ten minutes.
(picturing ferrets in scuba gear..hehe)  Granted, its not because the
schools care particularly about the animal, but about damage to the
property and allergy considerations of other residents.

As seen in your case, parents don't necessarily have a say in whether the
student gets a pet. Its up to the parents to instill values regarding
animals lives and responsible pet ownership. You did try to convince him
not to get a ferret, but as with all of us stubborn-minded self-centered
students, parental approval may not be high on the agenda.

As with any other group, it is WRONG to stereotype college students.  Sure,
some of us may be irresponsible, beer-guzzling, class-skipping, monetary
burdens on our ever-resourceful parents, but there are those of us, however
few and far between, who DO possess the maturity to lovingly provide a home
for a pet.

I consider my two ferrets to be lucky to be owned by me.  They have a
loving home, with lots of attention, and lots of human friends coming over
to meet them.  My boyfriend claims they get more care than he does. ;)  I
have converted several people to the ferret cause :) and whereas they have
not yet obtained their own ferrets, they love to play with mine!  I maee
sure to tell them of the responsibilities involved and what ferrets need to
thrive.  I take it upon myself to discourage impulse buying of ferrets.  I
take my boys where I can and talk to many people about the good parts and
the not-so-good parts of being owned by ferrets.  My ferrets make fine
ambassadors and never fail to charm their audience.

Whereas all college students in the world are not all responsible and
mature, there is no need to lump all of us into one group.  I've had my
ferrets for two years now, and they will continue to be with me forever.
My ferrets go with me on breaks and when I graduate.  They love to travel
and see new places, even if they have been to the *new place* a few weeks
ago.  ;) If I do need to go away, my boyfriend or my parents will watch my
ferrets.  I have taught them most of what they need to know to take care of
them for a few days.  When I return from a trip, I pick them up as soon as
I get back because I miss them when I'm away.

When I moved this year, I made sure to get ferret-friendly housing.  I
wouldn't be allowed to have a cat or dog, but ferrets are fine.  I'm not
quite sure how that one worked, but I'm happy with it!  My landlord's
daughter even wants to come see my ferrets!  And when I move again, my
ferrets will go with me.  I got my ferrets without my parents knowing, but
since I don't live at home anymore, they are solely my responsibility.  I
don't expect them to take over my *project* when I tire of them, mainly
because I'm not going to tire of my boys.

To sum up this long digression....not everyone in a demographic group is
the same!  People of all groups can lovingly own and care for their pets;
age matters not if you can provide for them.

Brenda
Pinky & the Brain, ferrets extraordinaire