From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Aug 2008 11:53:27 -0400
Randie asked whether it is more hygienic to use glass or water for
water bottles. I do not know the answer to that, and it might depend
more on how the cleaning is done. Sorry, just don't know, but I have
some RELATED INFO.

Your question reminds me of something else that I meant to share.
In the past there have been worries whether the clear, hard but
unbreakable form of plastic might pose health risks from hormonal input
of pseudo-estrogens. There is a wonderfully balanced update on research
into that in the new September issue of Scientific American which is
mainly on "the Future of Privacy". The article begins on page 108 and
goes through page 111. Look for the Insights: Toxicology section if you
find it in other ways, with the title being "Safety Dance over Plastic"
and the author Adam Hinterthuer. (Many book stores and libraries carry
Sci Am and libraries which don't can often borrow it from another
library or get a given article.)

As you will see, the question is far from answered, but the directions
to go for refinements in future studies may be known, and the data to
date is very interesting.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links: