Date:
Wed, 14 Dec 1994 07:21:52 EST
        to Ed Plumer, adn Fili (who has half the normal PCV:

        Ed - there are several other possible causes of anemia in ferrets that
your vet should consider.

        1)  Bleeding gastric ulcer.  This can be a source of chronic blood loss
in the ferret.  Have you noticed any tarry stools from  Fili recently.  Not that
the stools have to be tarry - small amounts of blood would not show up when you
examined the feces.  Has there been any diarrhea or grinding teeth (sign of
abdominal pain)?

        2)  Ectoparasites, such as fleas.  This is a commonly overlooked cause
of anemia in ferrets.  Fleas suck blood, it only takes a few to put a dent in a
ferrets packed cell volume...

        3)  I have seen several cases of rapidly progressing anemia in ferrets
that most likely have to do with an autoimmune response, or something that makes
the body break down it's own blood cells.  We don't know the reason for it, nor
do we have a suitable treatment.  We have tried removing the spleen in these
animals, which prolongs the life of the cells, and high doses of steroidss, but
the animals often don't make it in spite of treatment.  This is a rare
condition, though.

        If incomplete spaying is the cultprit, you should also see other signs
of estrus, including a swollen vulva.

        Hope this helps...

       Bruce Williams, DVM                 Department of Veterinary Pathology
       [log in to unmask]         Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
       (202) 782-2600/2602                 Washington, D.C.  20306-6000