From:
Roger Vaughn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 11:55:49 -0400
>Ah, yes taking the legs off the couch works great!

I can't really recommend this anymore.  Our couch has short little stubby
legs and goes nearly all the way to the floor.  But it's still the
ferrets' favorite bed.  Lifting it up to check underneath is *exactly*
how we trapped and squished Fox.  (He's ok fortunately.) Had the couch
had no legs we might have really hurt him.

It really depends a lot on the type of couch.  Ours goes all the way to
the floor and that makes it an even more ideal ferret hiding spot.  So how
do they get in there, you ask?  Well, Digger (clever kid) figured out how
to get behind the cushions and squeeze in the loose areas between the back
and the seat.  So they enter and exit from the top!

All of the suggestions for protecting the bottom would not do us a bit
of good.  We even put up with the torn cushions and all - but when Bear
decided that the arm boxes made a good latrine.....that was the end of
that.  Fortunately we had an unused futon sitting in another room.  (A
nice wooden Nordic-type model.)

>Ah, yes when the couch is trashed, futons work best!

LOL.  Yes, see above!

Roger, Digger, Bear, Fox and Sniffles - Professional Couch Wreckers