From:
Angela Cummings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 10:26:45 EDT
Hi everyone!

I'm reading the post about outdoor pens with great interest.  Maybe one of
these will be in our fuzzies future.  I especially thought the idea one
lister had about the tubing that led right into the ferrets room so they
could go in and out...now that's gotta be a sight! :-)

The reason I'm writing though is out of concern for the ferrets of the
person planning to use the 1 1/2 " square coated wire material for their
outdoor enclosure.  I'm really worried about the size of these squares for
ferrets...I don't want anyone to go through the horror we did when we lost
our little girl Chloe to squares in a baby gate that were just about this
size.  We've always been careful fert owners because of all the horror
stories, have ferrets proofed out house over and over, but we made the
mistake of using a babygate at the top of our stairs leading to my sons
room.  Anyone with a 13 year old will know there's no hope for any ferret
who finds their way into said 13 year olds room. ;-0  I never imagined that
the very gate we thought was protecting our ferrets would be what killed
our tiny little girl.  Yes....1 1/2 " x 2 " coated wire was big enough for
her to get part of her body through and when she realized the rest of her
would not, she turned and decided to go back through the hole directly
above her.  We found her too late.  So please...have fun building your
furry friends and outdoor pen, but I would suggest smaller gage wire for
this project....just my opinion of course, but I do not want to hear of
another ferret suffering an injury or even a horrible death as our little
one did.

Angela