From:
Sue Savage <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 2010 21:28:31 -0800
Two of my ferrets have had diarrhea for 2 weeks now. The 1st weekend,
I gave them both immodium, but that didn't help, so I took them to the
vet that Tues. He prescribed some amoxycillan twice a day until the
bottle runs out (which will take about 3-4 weeks based one how much is
in the bottle!). So its been about a week and half, and Glitters stool
is finally starting to look somewhat normal, still a little loose, but
is forming a shape now; but Gidgets has not improved. Its still very
liquidy and kind of mucusy. She has also lost 2 ounces since Sat(and
had lost 1 ounce the previous week), I assume from the diarrhea. She
is not lethargic-she runs around, war dances and wrestles with her
sisters. Her fur is shiny and her eyes are bright and she gave me
kisses tonight-the 1st one since I brought Lilo home in Oct!. I don't
think it could be ECE or worms, cause the other 3 would have the same
symptoms, and Lilo and Bella haven't had any diarrhea. So what else
could it be? Should I just keep with amoxycillan and see it goes away
in a couple more days? Should I be force-feeding her? She's not
dehydrated, I checked her scruff tonight. I make soup for them twice
a day from ground up ferret food and warm water, altho recently she's
been walking away from it from time to time. I have seen her eating
the dry kibble. Thanks for any help you can offer!

Sue