Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 09:22:15 -0500
I have a small plastic container of Kwik Stop in my cabinet, but it is
something that I seldom use.

I started out with birds, and frequently while clipping their nails I would
go past the vein and the nail would start to bleed.  Then I would reach for
the Kwik Stop and stop the bleeding fast, as birds don't have much blood to
begin with and even a few drops loss can spell trouble.  But I stopped
using Kwik Stop when I read a heart-wrenching story about a cockatoo that
ate it off his nail and died from the resultant poisoning.

Since that time I have found that corn starch or flour work almost as well
as Quik Stop.  Even if a bird or ferret's nail broke completely off, with
resultant heavy bleeding, I would not use Kwik Stop.  So why do I still keep
the stuff?  For broken blood feathers that just refuse to be pulled.  But
after the bleeding stops, I'm always careful to rinse the powder off.

A long time ago, I accidently dropped an open containor of Kwik Stop on the
floor, and in my rush to grab it, inhaled the evil powder in my lungs.  The
stuff nearly killed me!  When I was able to breathe again, I coughed for
ten minutes nonstop.

Flour is cheaper and kinder!

-cadel