From:
Robynn McCarthy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 May 1999 05:58:59 -0400
Zen was gracious enough to say:
>If ferrets are such bad pets why the heck do we all have them?  You are
>basically claiming we are all dumb enough to have bad pets.  Thanks but I
>really feel I am smart enough to have great pets.

I'm really curious where you got the idea that I thought ferrets were bad
pets.  There isn't ANY mention of such a thing in my post.  I've never
attacked anyone personally on the FML, and I'm not planning to start.  My
post did say that I believe that kind of tearing down, is of little benefit
to anyone.  You seemed to agree with me..but your comments don't really
reflect that.  I wouldn't call you, or anyone else on the list "dumb" for
loving ferrets as we all do.  That would include me and the four rescues
that are the loves of my life.  I also wouldn't be arrogant enough to
criticize your intelligence.

>Ferrets are GREAT pets.  Great personalities (most anyway).  Easy to care
>for.  Yes.  I am firmly convinced ferrets are easy to care for.  You can
>cage them while they must be restrained and its not a big problem.  They
>are easy to feed a "good enough" diet of quality kibble.  YEs there are
>better things that do take more effort.  They are (mostly) litter box
>trainable.

I agree with all of that.  I didn't say anything to the contrary.  But I
would hope you would concede that ferrets aren't the pets for everyone.
Just like dogs aren't for everyone, and cats aren't for everyone.  Horses,
rabbits, chinchillas, prarie dogs and turtles aren't for everyone.  "Ferret
people" tend to be more tolerant and understanding of what is necessary to
give a ferret a good life, and what to expect in regards to it's care and
health.  Many people would and do consider this too much work.
Unfortunately a lot of them find that out after they've already bought a
ferret.  More education will hopefully help this in the long run.

>Tell the exact truth without embellishment or personal aspersions (your
>FML post didn't manage to do that) and there is no danger of a lawsuit.

I don't understand what little quips like this one have to do with making
your point.  You weren't there to witness the situation, to the best of my
knowledge, or when our club attorney had to deal with the matter.

I'm just going to let the rest of it go, because there is no point in
restating everything I already said.  I meant it the first time, and I
still do.  I did however, want to respond to the things I said that were
grossly misconstrued.  Thanks everyone who sent the positive input I
received regarding my thoughts.  I suppose this is just another example
of how you can't please everyone all the time.

Sincerely
Robynn and the Fearsome Foursome