From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Apr 1999 13:16:20 -0500
Dona wrote:
>I do believe that these haikus should be compiled for a book and made

I agree!  Wouldn't this make a wonderful project to help fund a shelter?
There have been the marvelous hiaku pieces and other poetry recently, plus
over the last 11 years there have been a large number of poems (including
others in the 5, 7, 5 format), funny stories, and songs.  The FML archives
are searchable so if several folks got together and compiled these, then
asked permission from the authors, then posted on the FML the names of the
authors they couldn't locate so that we all can help find them when
possible the result would be a grand collection which could then be sold
for more than the printing, copying, and mailing costs.  People wouldn't
even need to be located close to a given shelter to help in the search!  A
shelter could express interest and then people could just plain help out.
Even with the people who couldn't be found, or who would turn this down the
sum total could be quite impressive!

My personal favorite so far is Christine Belsom's
<[log in to unmask]> ode to loss in this Spring season of rebirth:

>warm weather; I shed
>fur is irretrievable
>from the new carpet

Toys: after Cheweasels Jumpstart's favorite toy is a tangerine.  (Hey,
Dad and Mom, look!  It stinks!  It spits!  Sometimes the spit bites back!
I can roll it!  I can push it!  I can carry it!)

Cage breakouts: spring clips, spring clips in quantity!

About returning or keeping the Petco kit.  Except for Harley who began as a
temporary household member and is still missed even though he went to the
perfect home for him and even though we always reminded ourselves that he
was temporary, we figure that once a critter is in the family it's there
to stay.  Like Lisette we consider their care more important than any
purchases or travel.  Also like her we take as many economic variables as
possible into consideration upfront.  What Lisette wrote may seem hard to
some people but she was just being practical and honest about a way to keep
your furries and yourself from harm.  Facing an emergency without funds
is far worse.  (Take it from people who are saving to possibly support 4
members of the older generation and are glad as can be that they prepaid
their mortgage since the interest savings compared to the life of the
original loan are greater than the home cost so help with the care needs,
as well as with other family responsibilities.)

Know what really turned my stomach the other day?  I read the results of
survey which found in part: most people say they would risk their own lives
to save the life of a pet, but when they were later narrowed down to what
they would spend on veterinary care which would save the life of a pet far
fewer than half said they'd spend over $1,000.  What does this say to you?