From:
Debbie Hunton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jul 2006 13:34:24 -0700
I just wanted to let everyone know that general reading of the ferret
mailing lists I subscribe to has saved my ferret's life today.  Thank
you!

I discovered my 5-year old MF boy laying in the cage drooling just before
noon today.  My immediate thought was "insulinoma" so I handed him to my
husband, and said, "Put honey on his gums."  While he did that, I got the
cell phone, called the emergency vet... tracked down a vet to see him
today.  When I got there, I told them my suspicion and what I had done.
They did a blood glucose test right away - 34!  After injections, he was
brought back to us very frustrated at being wrapped in a towel... thank
god!  We let him out, and he walked all over the exam table. :)

Hours later, he is acting like his normal self, except maybe a little
extra tired.  We have a/d and High Cal gel for him.

The vet's office spun the blood they took from him to send in for a
glucose/insulin comparison at the time of his crash.  I'd not heard of
that before, anyone have comments?

I'm doing more research on this, as I don't know a lot of details on how
long he can live with this, what we will need to do to keep his quality
and length of life as high as possible.  But any personal views sent
directly to me ( [log in to unmask] ) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for all the info provided which helped me pull this guy
through a life-threatening situation!

Debbie H