From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 1996 10:49:05 -0500
**The advice dispensed by myself in reference to FML postings is not meant
to supplant the advice of veterinarians who are in charge of the patient.
If the patient is not currently under the care of a veterinarian, the client
is recommended to take their ferret to one.**

>From:    "Diana J. Anderson" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferret-Math, vet question

Megacolon is a possibility.  It should be easy to diagnose on physical
examination and/or x-ray.  The treatment to is soften the stool and use
medications to help the walls of the large intestine to contract better.  In
cats, in addition to stool softener (metamucil as an example) we use a drug
called cisapride.  I would start off at the cat dosing.

>From:    Andrea the Ferret <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Surgery: Right adrenal AND insulinoma
>Anyone have any suggestions and experience with surgery for BOTH right
>adrenal and insulinoma at the same time?
>VETS out there: Any advice for us?  Bean's got adrenal trouble on the right
>side, and also has symptoms of insulinoma.

As time goes on I become more pessimistic about the success of treating this
multiple disease ferrets (hyper adrenal disease, lymphoma, insulinoma) for a
long period of time.  I would consider starting Bean on prednisone to get
the blood sugar up and once stabilized, do the surgery.  If you elect to
treat the hyper adrenal disease medically with lysodren, know that it can
cause hypoglycemia - not something you want to do with an insulinoma patient.

>From:    Melissa Litwicki <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Cardiomyopathy early signs question?
>To those of you who have ferrets with cardiomyopathy, i have a set of
>symptoms that i suspect are indication cm, but i want to see if any of your

It could be cardiomyopathy (CM). I would advise a physical examination and
x-ray now.  If suggestive of CM, do an ultrasound.

>From:    Roberto <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Imrab 3 shots SC or IM?
>I would like to know if Imrab 3 shots are SC or IM?

Subcutaneuosly (SC).

>From:    Danica Densa <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Distemper Vaccine, misc.
>Hi everyone.  I am writing in hope to educate and inform the nonbelievers
>out there.  Last month I took all six of my babies to get their rabies and

Yes, there seems (in my practice) to be an increase of delayed reactions
occurring.  I have also run into a couple of cases of prolonged inappetence
post-vaccination (even with Imrab3).

>From:    Grin and Ferret!!! <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Food, heartworm and skin questions
>Hi all, Pepe's mom here, I need some help with some questions.

In one of my earlier posts, I discussed whether blood testing was needed or
not.  In the end, uses the veterinarian s judgment.  For dry skin there are
a variety of products for dogs and cats that work well (pet-derm, linatone,
derm caps).  For flea control, use a kitten safe powder.  If you are
concerned about ingestion, consider using Program by Ciba.  It s an
once-a-month oral flea control.

>From:    catherine williamson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferretws and Nicorette
>I do not know If I shouls worry but my ferret got into my pockets last

If the ferret is doing well, do not worry about it.

>From:    Mark Zmyewski <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: We don't have coccidia?  We have E. coli !
>Well, the lab results are in.  Boomer and Buster showed "heavy growth" of E.

I would agree with your vet concerning the E.  coli.  The pseudomonas is a
different story.  I doubt it is food contamination since the intestinal
tract is pretty good at dealing with ingested bacteria.  I would recommend
close monitoring and repeated cultures (and antibiotic sensitivities).

>From:    n <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Help - Very sick ferret!
>Our ferret (known as Snowy - whose picture is on Compuserve) is very sick.

Unfortunately your description is non-diagnostic.  Rear limb weakness can be
a sign to a variety of diseases.  An insulinoma is very common, but not the
only one.  Were any tests run?  If so, what are the results?

>From:    Helen Andersson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Blue ears reaction towards medicin
>For the last few weeks my ferrets have had a bad time with earmites, the new
>little guy Otto brought it in to our house.  To make a long story short..
>The vet gave me a eardrops called Ortena after a few days use the ears

I do not have any information on Ortena ear drops but it would be
interesting to hear more about it.  The two things that percolates to the
top of my brain is either 1) a dye type/chemical reaction between the skin
and medication or 2) some type of blood vessel permeability reaction.  Last
week I saw a cat with blue ears.  The ear canals actually had numerous 2-5
mm nodules that were blue.  This however was a chronic ear infection
condition and not acute.

>From:    Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Flea Problems
>I was wondering if anyon had any good recommendations for ridding my ferrets
>of fleas.
Program (by Ciba) is a good choice, but...

>My roommate suggested Program, which is a garlic flea repellent ...

Program (by Ciba) is not a garlic flea repellent.  It is a chemical that
acts as inhibitor of the hard outer shell of young, developing fleas.

>From:    Lisa Mancilla <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Tail Problems and Ferret Colds
>When we first adopted Shiva, she had black heads on her tail.  We had
>finally cleaned the tail free of the black heads but the hair hadn't grown

Yes, blackheads are common.  I usually recommend a benzoyl peroxide cream
such as Oxydex.  It will work better than tar or sulfur based shampoos.
Yes, it is probably a transmittable cold between the two ferrets.  I would
give your vet a call to see if they recommend a visit for the second sick
ferret.

>From:    Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: What would you do? & Dogs
>Yesterday morning Nancy and I rushed her Mugsy to the vets office.  He had
>a high temp (my hands estimated 104-105, verified at 104 by the vets

Talk to the practice owner.
Yes, it may have been a cold passed from you.

>From:    Tryntje Miller <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Vets, can you help my Snoopy
>Some time ago I wrote asking information about pedialyte.  I also told you
>why I was asking.  The last word was that Snoopy was improving a fraction.
>Well, the improvement has stopped.  In fact, within the last day or two, she

TAKE THE FOLLOWING TO YOUR VET NOW:
Black, tarry stools equals stomach/duodenum ulcers.  Most common cause
of stomach ulcers is Helicobacter bacteria infection.  Treatment for
Helicobacter is:

1) amoxicillin antibiotics - 2 to 4 times daily.
2) peptobismol - 1 ml 4 times daily
3) force feed - pedialyte is not enough.  It is like drinking Gatorade.  You
   will lose weight.
   Use Duck Soup, or a/d (available at the vet s), or pureed ferret kibble.
   Aim for 6 to 12 milliliter every 3-4 hours.
4) since ulcers - use sucralfate 4 times daily
5) a recent trial study showed that Biaxin (brand name) in conjunction with
   amoxicillin more quickly clears the infection.
6) keep warm - rectal temperature should be around 102 degrees F.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH, USA