From:
Barbara Clay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jan 2009 19:12:48 -0800
Dear All,

As a ferret owner and shelter op, I've had to make mercy decisions far
more times than I care to recall.

What disturbs me are the many phone calls and emails I receive from
loving ferret owners, confused and pained, asking when to make the
decision for mercy. My heart breaks with each one, and I try to help
them make the right decision for that moment in time.

This is a very general blanket statement, but I'd like to say that
so many vets fail in this area. They give a diagnosis of a terminal
condition, whether it be adrenal, insulinoma, lymphoma or whatever, and
send the family and patient home with meds and instructions, and that's
all. What's missing is the barometer of the quality of life. It can be
a very upsetting moment in the vet's office when you're told that your
pet is terminally ill. If possible, even if not at that moment but
later, ask your vet for thresholds of the decline of their life. This
will help you in deciding when to make a mercy call.

Discuss at what point pain sets in, and ask that your vet provide you
with appropriate pain meds. Many will say that your ferret will tell
you when, but that's just not always the case. These animals love and
cherish us, and often do not want to leave, and will be stoic to the
end. They have an incredible capacity to hide pain!

This barometer of quality of life can be, but not limited to: Weight
loss within a week, food intake, refusal to eat, systemic failures
such as hind leg weakness, vomiting, dehydration, renal failure, and
so much more. Each disease will bring it's own specific set of issues
of quality of life as it declines. Ask, prepare yourself for assisting
in supportive care and mercy.

Have your vet early on, be your asset in helping to determine when to
say when.

We all have or will experience this, and share the pain of such a
decision of mercy.

Peace, comfort and strength to you all,

Barb Clay
Dir of Shelter Affairs for Rocky's