From:
"Kevin B. Pratt" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Dec 1994 19:54:06 -0500
   Hello out there-

    My two sables (Babka- 1.5yrs,M & Tsatchka - 3 yrs, F)  are wild about
liquid - any liquid.  While they are picky eaters, they will test almost
anything liquid to determine if it is tasty or fun.  Some examples:
    Diving For Raisins -- If I take a large salad bowl fill, it with water,
and put a raisin in it Babka will lean over the bowl, immerse his  head and
shoulders in it, and search for the raisin. He does this with his eyes
open, and when he finds it he will remove it, take off like a bandit, hide
it, then come back and look for more.
    Coca-Cola -- Basically, I have had to almost stop drinking Coke because
the very smell sends the fuzzies into a frenzy.  They will stop at nothing
to get to a glass of the sweet stuff including:  running up the panty hose
of a poor guest at a cocktail party who proceeded to scream and spill cola
everywhere (ferrets 1, guests 0), scaling very tall curtians (9ft) to jump
dowm on top of a wardrobe on top of which had been placed a can, and
finally, assulting my mother who had the misfortune to sit on the couch and
try to read with a glass in her hand. They actually sped by and attacked
the glass as though it were a rabbit or something.
    Washing machines -- One day not so long ago I was doing my laundry and
left the top of the machine open - you know, to fill it up before putting
in the soap.  Anyway, I forget to add the soap and thus to close the top.
I am reminded of my oversight by the sound of wild scrabbling and when I
run over I discover that Babka has decide to bathe himself.  The strange
part was, he seemed to like the taste of the soapy water (makes sense, he
also eats shaving cream), and kept licking my hands and himself while I was
drying him off.
    Coffee -- Around here the morning has become, well, a little nerve
wracking.  The rats have decided that they are interested in coffee.  They
don't like to drink it, really, but spilling it is another matter.  No lazy
cup o' joe in bed anymore.  The worst part is that they tend to lurk in the
AM, so it is difficult to tell where they are until it is too late.  Oddly,
tea appears to be quite safe.  I suspect that this is only because I don't
put sugar in mine.

Merry Xmas from the whole crew
Kevin (the author)
Erika (human companion)