From:
Kym Zorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 02:57:06 -0400
Okay, MF # 24 offends some and amuses others.  Grand !  Obviously it struck
a chord, or the uproar would not have been so fast and furious.  The very
nature of this list - immediate electronic confirmation - lends itself
easily to abuse.  This exchange exists primarily through the internet,
and obviously this forum lacks the verbal and physical cues that put our
opinions in context for other people.  Keep in mind that although the
ferret world is small, many of us would not recognize each other face to
face.  This is a large list which includes people from vastly diverse
backgrounds, cultures, and countries.

It is so very easy to sound off in the relative anonymity of cyberspace.
You are basically accountable to no one as you type your comments.  Keep
in mind that posts are often the only clue we have to one another.  I've
fired off some dumbass emails because the immediacy of the medium is so
tantalizing ..." I want to say this NOW !!  To hell with logic - it's here,
it's easy, and I'm going to respond ."  This can work, but not as often as
we would like to believe.

We are people who would probably never met had it not been for our love of
ferrets.  I suggest once again that if you need to vent, vent.  If this is
not adequate for you, start doing something about it, but please don't use
this list as a recruiting ground for personal agendas .  If you are truly
pissed about MF # 24, find out how far you are willing to take this and run
with it.  See how far you can go as an individual .  You will never know
the depth of your resolve until you test it.  I am not being facetious,
just practical.  If it is your cause and worth it to you, fight
intelligently and creatively.  If it is simply annoying, depressing, or
you found it in poor taste, dump, vent, and move forward.  Humans have
proportionately huge brains and can think alone, rather than follow herd
mentality.

Some thoughts to ponder.  Your answer might be light years away from mine ,
but at least it's yours.

Kym