From:
Rochelle X <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Dec 1994 13:09:12 -0500
        I think we may have a case of the greenies here...  My husband was sick
with the flu the first half of last week, so when two of the ferrets (Fezzik &
Shadow) started getting diarrhea on Friday, I assumed that they had just caught
the flu from him. So I followed the directions the vet had given me the last
time they'd gotten a small case of diarrhea:  make sure they're drinking and
give them pepto bismol.  But its now Monday and they haven't kicked it yet.
Also, Fezzik's muscle tone seems to be less good than it used to, and although
we have managed to get him to drink, I don't think he's drinking enough.  We're
trying Pedialyte, and will start forcing fluids down their throats if necessary.
Their stool *isn't* bright green - but we did get a new kit 2 weeks ago, who
hasn't gotten the sickness.  And, a case of the greenies had gone through the
breeders' ferrets a while back - although I don't think the kit had shown
symptoms, its possible he's still a carrier.  So, everyone keep your fingers
crossed for us!  I think its going to be a very long week....
        One question.... our vet is wary of starting them on antibiotics at this
point, for fear that killing off the natural flora in their digestive track will
screw them up even more.  But I know the FAQs all warn against the problems of
secondary infections.  Is it a serious risk to wait until they seem to be
showing some signs of recovery before starting them on the antibiotics?

Rochelle, & Fezzik ("Just let me sleep, mom!"), Shadow ("Not that pink stuff
again!"), and Falstaff ("Why won't anyone play with me right now?")