From:
"Harris, Victoria" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 10:03:16 +1000
Hi Guys,

I don't often voice my opinion about things..  Just sit back and consider
other peoples opinions and make my own mind up!  But i agree with the
person from the UK about the descenting ferrets.

Over here in Australia it is not a common practice, in fact it is frowned
upon by not only the welfare societies (shelters) but also vets as
removing them can cause incontinence and all sorts of other problem in
their latter years.

Unless there is a medical need for having the scent glands taken out
there is no real reason for removing them.  Their musky smell is not
carried in their scent glands it is in the oils in their skin, their
scent glands only smell different if they poof, which only happens on
rare occasions anyway.

Poofing isn't that bad, it can make you feel a little sick if you're in
an inclosed space or if the ferret sticks their bum in your face *LOL*
but it disperses quickly so no harm done!

I honestly don't see the point in putting them through unnecessary
surgery if there's no medical reason for them having their scent glands
removed.  You eventually get used to the smell of them and as far as
guests coming to visit... Well..  Love me love my ferret i say! ;O)

Vikky