From:
David & Debi Christy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Jan 2006 10:07:46 -0600
First, there may be some confusion... there are 2 Debis here...

The first 'shouted' "ALWAYS PRETREAT" statement was mine... and this, is
actually due to a 'cut and paste' from the brochure that I distribute in
which this particular statement is in a font that translates to text
format in all caps...

I don't always have the time to be 'politically correct'.  I operate a
shelter and have another job in addition to that.

You will notice that the name of my shelter is "Ferrets First" not "Toes
First".  A lot of times I post something in a hurry and in the process of
trying to be concise, yet cover the essentials, I don't pad the cold hard
facts very well and I come across sounding arrogant, condescending, and
overbearing.  when in reality, I'm frantically worrying "Am I supplying
enough information?  Are they going to shrug it off and let their ferret
die because I didn't make it sound important enough or because it sounds
exaggerated?"

I'm pretty much d****d if I do and d****d if I don't in most situations,
so I inevitably step on some toes now and then.  but, that's not such a
bad thing.  If they're standing that close, they're close enough to
listen, and if they listen long enough they might eventually hear
something that might save just one ferret life..  And my mission is
accomplished.  apologies about the toes.  they look a lot like my
bruised ego, lol.

As far as options about pretreating or not are concerned... your
statement seems to me to be the equivalent of saying "vaccinating
children for childhood diseases is optional", when we are all 100%
positive, well in advance, that our children will be exposed to and
are likely to contract one of those illnesses.

With this mind, I repeat, and stand by the statement: Always pretreat
for any and all vaccinations.

Debi Christy
Ferrets First Foster Home
www.ferrets1st.com