Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2012 01:24:10 -0400
>Question: when a ferret is on Lupron, can it be stopped temporarily?

NO. The Lupron Depot, and also Deslorelin, work to slow the growth
of the tumor as much as it can be slowed. That's the short version of
what the medication does. Stop the medication, and you allow the tumor
or tumors to grow unchecked. Simply put, the adrenal disease will
accelerate much more quickly without Lupron Depot or Deslorelin.

>Won't the adrenal disease progress?

The disease progresses with or without treatment. Only surgery to
remove the tumor or tumors stop the growth. BUT, the growth is far
slower when proper medications are administered and are continually
administered at the proper times. Deslorelin OR Lupron Depot, in
conjunction with melatonin implants, are the best non-surgical way
to slow down adrenal tumor growth.

>My Lulu is doing very well on a small dose and her fur is beautiful.
>She's been on it just under a year. I am actually wondering if she
>really is adrenal at this point.

Given that she's 8 years old, there's a VERY high probability that she
does have adrenal disease. She's doing well on the Lupron Depot, so why
take her off and take a chance of having everything accelerate at this
point? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Your treatment is giving her a
good quality of life. Don't stop it. If you really *need* to know if
she has adrenal tumors, don't stop the meds. Get an ultrasound. That
will tell you exactly where any tumors are and how big they are.

Jeff
In Loving Memory of Neo, Trinity, Morphy, Baby Girl, Dozer, Possum,
Pip, Pop, Sabrina, Minnie Mouse, Hunny, Misty, Frodo, Baggins, and
Mr. Parker
Caring for Luna, Boomer, and Zoomer