From:
"Church, Robert Ray (UMC-Student)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Feb 2004 03:09:40 -0600
HYDROGEN PEROXIDE:

An alert FML reader pointed out the use of hydrogen peroxide for wound
care is currently considered obsolete (especially in view of moist wound
care protocols).  My remarks ("use for cleansing wounds, especially
around stitches.  The application can be quite painful if poured into a
deep wound.  Also useful if a q-tip is dipped into the peroxide and used
to clean the gums."), were vague simply because they were designed to be
a basic "I use this for that" statement rather than a detailed
explanation.

For those who adhere to the "moist wound care management" paradigm,
hydrogen peroxide is considered to be a wound drying agent, as well
as a substance that not only kills bad bugs, but good cells as well.
According to studies, both lengthen healing times and increase the
chance of infection.  For these basic reasons, hydrogen peroxide is not
recommended for daily wound cleaning, and I agree.

I never actually meant for people to use peroxide for daily wound
cleaning, simply because I am one of those guys who believes "if it ain't
dirty, don't clean it."   However, many times ferrets come back from
surgery with dried gunk around their wound, old blood, and fur matted
with who knows what, and I use hydrogen peroxide to clean the stuff off.
In my highly abbreviated description of use, I didn't make that clear.

Using hydrogen peroxide to clean the gums of carnivores is a widely
accepted practice, and as far as I can tell, it hasn't been abandoned in
favor of something else.  Hydrogen peroxide will bleach the teeth, which
some vets argue weakens the enamel, but for short exposures there should
be no damage.

I LIKE hydrogen peroxide.  It is cheap, you can find it everywhere, and
it is very effective as a disinfectant.  I use it at home all the time;
for example, I store my toothbrush and my Reach flosser in an opened
bottle of peroxide between uses, changing the bottle weekly.  While I
agree peroxide shouldn't be used for daily wound care, it is still
recommended by many sources as an effective hygienic agent for the
INITIAL cleaning of abrasions and other dirty wounds.  (1 email)

Bob C