Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 2004 09:17:23 -0400
Hi Everyone,

Up until about 2 years ago I was a subscriber to this list.  Since then I
have had unsubscribed and are no longer owned by ferrets.

The reason for my post today is because I found out that my sisters high
school science teacher brought 2 ferrets into the classroom this week.
They have a bunch of animals in the class, but they are mostly in the
reptile family.  My sister is 14 and a freshman at Woburn High School in
Woburn, MA.  She and I are very close.  I'm sure eveyone remembers how
trying the teenage years can be, and it means alot to my father and
stepmother that my sister and I are close since she is at the stage of
her life where she and her mother don't always get along.  She comes to
me with everything and I can not take a chance in breaking our bond.

That being said, I wish to remain annonimous because if anything comes of
this I really don't want it to get back to to anyone that I had anything
to do with it.  My sister is so excited about the ferrets, but she
doesn't understand what a full time job they are.  I personally don't
feel a high school classroom is where ferrets should live.  I hope
everyone understands.

Anyway, the science teacher has now brought two ferrets into the
classroom.  My sister said they take them out during class and play with
them, but they are on leashes so that they can't get away from the kids.
I tried asking her about bedding, toys, cage size etc, but she didn't
have many details.  All she told me is that the cage needs to be bigger
and that she had told her teacher that.  I am seeing her on Saturday and
going to give her my copy of Ferrets for Dummies to loan to her science
teacher.  I am hoping this will help him in their care.  My main concern
however is the weekends.  I asked her if someone was going to bring them
home and care for them on the weekends.  She had no idea.  No one brings
the other animals home.  I am worried about these ferrets and dont' know
what to do.  That is why I am reaching out to you here on the FML.

Is there is anyone that can look into this situation and make sure they
are being well cared for or have them removed if necessary.  I hope I am
doing the right thing in all this.  I am concerned about the ferrets and
also that if anything were to happen no one finds out it was me.  I don't
want there to be any trouble for my sister within the school with out
kids etc.

Please email me directly with any questions or concerns and I will do
my best to get ansers for you.

Thank you in advance for your help and support.

~Concerned Sisiter and Ex-Ferret Owner