From:
"Amy C. Dempsey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 16:26:58 -0700
At one time I had 18 ferret, a combination of purchases and rescues.  And
they were free roam.  I put everyone in their room at night, but all day
they were free.  Once I got broken into and upon returning home only 6 were
in the house.  Now I live in the middle of no where so there were no
neighbors to ask to help.  I could have cared less that the TV, VCR and
some jewelery was gone, I was horrified they might have taken a ferret.
After several hours I was down to just 1 boy missing.  My big deaf lug of a
ferret.  What was good is that he was a dark eyed white so he should be
easy to spot.  Well night became the next day, and still no BJ.  I search
ed high and low, found little foot prints on the sand on the beach but no
BJ.  Finally two days later I am walking in the house and I hear a cough.
I turn around and hear it again, he is hiding under a pallet of tiles,
coughing trying to get my attention.  He ate like pig and then slept for
almost a whole day straight.  That was the end of the free roaming while I
am not home.  They go back to their room when no one is at the house.

Having 18 ferrets was wonderful, but I can truly say that I can spend a lot
more quality time with my little ones now that I have 6.  Now if some one
showed up with a ferret that needed a home I would take it in a minute, and
I am sure that if I lived in the states I would probably have 20, because I
am a ferret slut too!  I can't say no to ferrets.

Nicole, Sidney is just terrified.  He has been abused and like any animal
or person that has been abused you just have to give them lots and lots of
time and love.  It sounds like you are doing everything right - just give
it some time and when he feels truly safe he will come around.

Amy and her 6 fur snakes.