From:
"David J. Ellis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jun 1997 16:58:31 -0400
I was contemplating the recent discussions about adrenal tumors and so on
and something Bill Killian said made me wonder.  It was a couple of days ago
but I believe his comment was along the lines that many of the reports are
from shelters and that they see more than the average number with health
problems.  Anyway, it occurred to me that the shelters also generally get
ferrets that have been abused in one way or another or otherwise uprooted
from their normal surroundings and probably have had a very stressful
period.  Recently there's been a lot of suggestions that stress can cause
medical problems in humans and I was wondering if stress might be a
significant factor in this case.

Anyway (I did say I was day dreaming didn't I?) I was was also contemplating
the seemingly never ending urban legends about ferrets eating babies that we
are alway trying to debunk.  Maybe we need to start a few urban legends of
our own.  Ever had a rough day at work, come home and turned the idiots
loose?  Instant stress relief!  Now stress is tied to all kinds of illnesses
nowadays.  So... ferrets relieve stress.  I heard one report where stress
caused cancer.  Maybe the correct urban legend is that ferrets prevent
cancer?  No doubt if we make a suitable large donation to the American
Cancer Society they will endorse it just like they did with the orange
juice ;)