From:
Melody Tomaszewicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 2004 08:20:32 -0400
Hi all-

My ferret Snape has been diagnosed with IBD and insulinoma.  He has been
put on small doses of pred, carafate for his tummy, and this other stuff
that I call NASTY....(Sulfasomething or other).  The vet told me that he
wouldn't like the last one because it was very bitter.  He tried to help
the taste by adding a fish taste to it.  (We can't mix it with anything
sweet because of the insulinoma.)

When I give it to him, he acts like I'm feeding him a mixture of poison
and acid.  He retches, shakes his head, paws at his mouth and does his
best to spit it out.  He tries to find a piece of burning wood to wipe
his mouth on.  Does anybody have any ideas?  I've tried mixing it with
an oil and ferretone mixture, but that didn't help either.  I can't use
anything sweet, because of the insulinoma, and he has to swallow it.  As
it is, I end up wearing a bunch of it.  :-(   I know with kids I can
numb the tongue with an ice cube, but I don't know how to do it with a
ferret.

Any ideas?

Melodyt and the nifty nine