From:
Katrina D Ramsell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 1996 18:16:05 -0400
Hi Ron,
I'm sure you know that as our little ones get older they tend to get adrenal
cancer, lymphosarcoma, and/or insulinomas.  I have seen several older
ferrets that had screaming sneezing fits, which were diagnosed to be
seizures due to low glucose from insulinomas.  I would have a fasting
glucose (No more than 4 hrs.  of fasting, especially if Duke does have an
insulinoma problem) test done on Duke.  If Duke has a low glucose (60-65 is
pretty low), then you should probably get Duke on some medication.  Usually
large insulinomas can be removed surgically, but Duke's age (8 yrs.) will
add to the risk of surgery, as will any other health problems she may have.
If her glucose is below 60, I would definitely get her on some meds soon.
Good luck!

Katrina Ramsell

P.S.  If Duke has a really bad attack or starts going into a hypoglycemic
coma (assuming it is from insulinomas), you can rub some Karo syrup into her
gums or give Nutrical to buy some time on the way to the vet clinic/hospital.