From:
Carla Almaraz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Aug 1998 09:17:09 -0700
After reading posts about "necessary" bonding, I must offer the following:

JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE POSTS OFTEN DOES NOT MAKE THEM A FERRET EXPERT!
It just means they have more time on their hands.  Most experts don't have
time to read this list on a regular basis or they skim the FML just to keep
up with what is going on in the ferret community.  The one exception that
comes to mind here is Bob Church, whom we speculate does not require sleep
to function.

IF YOU NEED ADVICE ON TRAINING, ASK A REPUTABLE FERRET SHELTER OR
FERRET CLUB.
If the advice seems abusive, it IS abusive.  This would include thumping
the nose to correst for biting, harnessing a ferret tightly for hours, etc.
Most reputable shelters and clubs offer sound, excellent advice.  Or read "A
practical guide to ferret care" by Deborah Jeans or Mary Scheferman's book.

IF YOUR FERRET IS SICK, TAKE THEM TO YOUR LOCAL VET IMMEDIATELY.
Don't post and expect someone perhaps thousands of miles away to make a
diagnosis.  Your ferret may be dead before you hear back from someone on
the FML.  ECE, in severe cases, can claim the life of a ferret in less than
one day.

NEVER RELY ON MEDICAL ADVICE GIVEN ON THE FML.
For medical advice, please rely on your local veterinarian.  This does not
mean that people who offer advice on the FML don't have correct information.
It means that a medical diagnosis should be made by a physical examination.
I have frequently copied down information I've seen posted here and asked
my vet - who will either agree or disagree.  I especially appreciate the
infrequent advice given by vets on the list.

Don't put shelter operators in the position of giving out medical advice.
This could put them in jeopardy of violating laws on dispensing medical
advice without a license. Most of them will not give specific treatments
but suggest that you see a vet either immediately or at your leisure
depending upon the serverity that you describe.

Many of us have seen virtually all of the conditions that get posted on the
FML and know the treatment.  But that doesn't mean we have all the answers.
There are occasional gems.  One that comes to my mind for me is the piece
on Giardia imposters given a while back by Nancy Winter.

DON'T BELEIVE EVERYTHING YOU READ ON THE FML. READ THE FML WITH A GRAIN OF
SALT!
In fact, don't believe anything without checking out the facts first.  Just
because someone says so, doesn't make it true.  Be especially wary when the
author himself comes back with, "it's okay honey that you don't understand
about ferrets yet.  Trust me."  Run.  Run like wildfire.

There are a couple of true ferret experts on this list who offer advice to
the FML on a sporatic basis.  They can be trusted.  The names of Troy Lynn
Eckard and Pam Troutman come to mind.  There are others but most have
dropped from the FML because of controversy.

   -Carla (still steamin' about how to "bond" with my ferrets)
    Oregon Ferret Association

[Moderator's note: The FML is full of advice, some good, some not so good.
Some people read things differently than other people do.  Luckily, bad
advice quickly gets corrected by posts pointing out the advice that was
bad.  There are lots of little jewels in almost every issue for those who
notice them.  *My* advice is to pay attention and use your common sense. BIG]