From:
"Eric A. Schwartz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 01:04:49 -0400
I'm sorry I won't have time to go over the page in any great detail myself,
since I'm busy moving out of my apartment, but I looked it over earlier,
and one thing really struck me as odd.

Maybe I missed it, but there wasn't one reference to ferrets eating babies
in the entire page that I could see.  Maybe DFG's finally deliberately
avoiding the issue because they knew they made such total asses of
themselves claiming there were thousands of such cases, when they couldn't
produce more than a couple of actual references.  In a document that
claimed to be extensively referenced, they couldn't hide it any more
except by not bringing it up.

One other thing I did catch, however, was the lack of any of the studies
concerning a comparison of ferret and polecat vision.  I'm afraid I don't
have the actual citations, but I recall that ferrets have zero color vision
and do not have binocular vision, whereas actual polecats have at least
some color perception and do have binocular vision.  Same species?  I think
not.  After all, wolves and dogs are "completely interfertile" but we do
give them different species because, obviously, domestic dogs aren't
wolves, just as domestic ferrets aren't wild polecats.

Anyway, I wish I could help more, and I'll write back if I think of
anything else.

Eric A. Schwartz