From:
Tracy Jose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2000 21:27:45 -0600
>From:    Anne Marie Voegeli
>Now for the question: Has anyone had any similar situations with screechy
>sounds and ferrets just going nuts and start attacking and biting?  She
>also HATES squeaky toys.  We accidentally bought a couple when we thought
>they were hollow, so we threw them away, but when they squeaked, she also
>attacked the toys.  Any ideas?

Anne Marie - my fuzzy, Spunky, came to me as a rescue a couple of years
ago.  She does not like other ferrets (except for one - her cagemate who
also was a rescue).  She hates toys that have certain squeaky noises.  I
bought a "wiggly giggly" ball once because I heard that a lot of people's
fuzzies enjoyed these balls.  When you roll it or shake it...it makes a
squealing sort of noise.  Well, when I had my group of four fuzzies out
for play, I gave them this ball to play with...it started squealing &
squeaking.  Spunky was in her cage and she started to shake and literally
tried to attack the nearest ferret (not her cagemate), through her cage.
Once she even jumped on one of the ferrets and she is usually terrified of
them and won't go near them.  It almost seems as if her motherly instincts
come out...because the ball sounds like little "baby squeals" and I think
she is trying to protect "her babies or me".  So needless to say....I put
this toy away.  Some squeaky toys do not bother her, but that one sure
does.

Tracy J.
Tango, Chico, Roo, Pepe', Spunky & Leah