From:
Barbara Wiborg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Nov 1998 17:05:35 -0600
Well, for the past two or three days, Greta has been having bad "attacks"
with wheezing, choking, gasping. etc.  It has worried the heck out of me.
The antihistamine pills I was giving her haven't been working.  I decided
to bring her to a vet today - a new one that knows ferrets.  She took a
chest x-ray (and got pooped and peed on) and concluded that Greta possibly
has heart worm and/or heart disease.  (There was no indication of asthma).
She (the ferret) is also a bit dehydrated.  She (the vet) gave me an
antibiotic and Prednisone liquid to give her twice a day.  Hopefully is
will help her.

Has anyone had a ferret with heart worm?  Is it a serious thing?

Also.  I am trying to ferret-proof (or "temporarily ferret-deter") my
living room but have lots of big plants.  What can I use to keep them from
digging in the dirt?  I have heard of putting stones on top of the dirt to
discourage them.  Any ideas?  And also need to keep them from climbing
under the cushions on the couch and getting inside (I already removed the
legs on the couch)...

Hugs to all the fuzzies, prayers to the not-feeling-so-well fuzzies, and
praises to all those who have rescued fuzzies from bad places!

Barb and the ever-lovin' fuzzies,
Lucy  (why can't I have some of that pink stuff, too?)
Greta (because you didn't get the crap scared out of you by that vet!)

P.S. Greta poops on everyone who picks her up!  She even pooped on the
judge at the Midwest Ferret Expo last year!  (She still got 4th place
anyway!)