Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2007 13:28:02 -0400
why bring in lawyers if you don't have to?

DM has offered to sell ferrets fro $35 per ferret to the rescue. sounds
like he may be trying to shut down his operation and get back a bit of
his "investment". obviously, he doesn't have a good understanding of
"rescue", in terms of what kind of stuff they do or what kind of money
they (don't) have. his daughters may be taking care of his ferrets, but
perhaps they have another full time job or other responsibilities else
where. authorities that have gone in and looked at the place has deemed
it not bad enough to press charges, so shutting down DM via authorities
seems to be not viable.

is there some way to cooperate with Doug? ask him for his list of
breeders that he had sold ferrets to, and invite them to come and
purchase some of the ferrets for their own lines. 2 breeders on the FML
have spoken well of Doug, so this may get a few ferrets into better
homes. help him organize a adoptathon type event with the ferrets that
are more personable, and split the proceeds from ferret sales with him
one way or another. use donations to pay for spaying and neutering some
of his ferrets. cooperate to shrink his operation to something more
manageable for them. perhaps someone knows a mediator who can volunteer
a session between Doug and the rescue to work in the interest of both?

just 2 cents from someone who saw the photos, live very far away, and
know very little about rescues, keeping ferrets outdoors, or breeding
ferrets. I also have a lot of respect for the Killians based on their
past contributions to the FML years ago, and I hope this is their
return to the FML (I do disagree with Bill K as to his assessment of
BIG's role in the FML.. I think BIG does a wonderful job moderating,
especially in times of conflict, manages to stay reasonably neutral,
a feat that's hard to achieve). I have a lot of respect for Sukie C,
Linda Iroff etc and anyone running a rescue. I continue to enjoy the
FML in spite or each little flame war that goes on, often I find the
opinions of both sides equally valid an interesting.

sincerely
Selina, Clef, Popcorn, Sorin, Mochi, Jolt & Cola