Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 2009 14:48:22 -0700
All the meds discussed here are used in humans, so here's a quick
"patient information" lecture from your friendly pharmacist: Both
"Zantac" & "Pepcid" act systemically to reduce acid production in
the stomach. "Carafate" acts locally to "protect" the stomach lining.
It is often used in conjunction with "Zantac or "Pepcid", but due to
this protective action it can decrease absorption of other meds & this
is why it is given separately. Studies have shown that most human
ulcers are the result of "infection". The causative organisms may lie
dormant & not cause any symptoms, but if they have an opportunity they
will result in ulcers & stomach problems. Amoxicillin seems to work
very well to eradicate causative bacteria in ferrets (according to
my vet), but sometimes other agents are present. Flagyl works on
"fungus-type" organisms (not really fungus, but close enough for this
explanation) so sometimes it is added as well since amoxicillin only
works on bacteria & has no effect on other types of organisms.

On a personal note, we have "been there & done that" with our ferret.
She responded very well to a regimen of 14 days of amoxicillin &
Carafate, with Pepcid being administered sub-Q (injection under skin)
for the first few days until she began to recover. Adequate hydration
is VERY important, & this was accomplished with some "especially tasty"
canned "recovery" food thinned to a soup. Flagyl was "on hold" as a
possible added med if the others did not work.

Note - Flagyl tastes AWFUL (I know - I have always "tasted" anything
safe to taste so as to understand what my patients had to endure). My
vet says some ferrets will actually vomit when it is administered, &
although some will "put up with it" she has never seen a ferret take
it easily. Additional trauma is not helpful, so this is why it was
reserved as a last resort.

For "MIKE", who posted originally:
Ask your vet about the amoxicillin/Carafate regimen. We have found that
mixing the Carafate or amoxicillin with a little Ferretvite, or some
mashed banana, or whatever treat your ferret likes, is all it takes
to easily administer these two meds. If you don't get a long-term
resolution from the amoxicillin, you may have to try the Flagyl as
well, but "good luck with that" :>) Also, don't forget to maintain
hydration with extra liquids, especially if there is diarrhea &/or
vomiting. Finally, extensive diagnostics in our ferret confirmed no
serious health problems & led to the vet's conclusion that she "does
not react well to stress" (the problems occurred when we left her for
a vacation, & again when we had a burst water pipe & lots of workmen &
activity in our home). Soooo, you may want to ask yourself if anything
"unusual" happens before you notice these symptoms; maybe some visitors
in your home, or you've been gone longer than normal? You may also want
to ask about keeping some Carafate around for occasional use after
completing whatever treatment your vet recommends. I have found that if
our girl's appetite seems "off" or she exhibits other signs of "upset
tummy", that a couple of doses of the Carafate seems to get her right
back to normal.

Best wishes,

Lisa (retired RPh) & Effe (the Extra Fine Ferret Extraordinaire)