Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 13:21:33 -0500
"Most" pet owners don't realize that chocolate can be poisonous to their
pet.  The primary toxic agent is theobromide, which excites the heart and
causes abnormal heart rhythms.  Other clinical signs include vomiting,
muscle tremors, depression, and increased urination.  Death may occur
from cardiac arrest.  [Chocolate can also affect the kidneys and liver].

Although tolerance varies in small animals, the minimum lethal dose is
about .1 oz [1/10 of an ounce] of baking chocolate or 2 oz. of milk
chocolate for a ferret weighing 2 lbs.  Treatment by your veterinarian is
necessary when clinical signs are present, and are based on delaying
absorption, hastening elimination, and providing supportive treatment.

As is often the case, prevention is the best path to follow - so keep
chocolates out of the reach of your pet!

This article  <http://www.weaselwords.com/pages/contact1.asp> originally
appeared in the May/June 2001 issue of "The F.A.I.R. Report".

[Moderator's note: One of my pet peeves, ya know.  I never have found
ANY evidence that chocolate is poisonous to ferrets.  There is, however,
PLENTY of anecdotal evidence that ferrets have no problem with it.  The
"lethal" dose given above seems to be an extrapolation of the toxic dose
in dogs and is not meaningful in ferrets.

No, I'm not advocating feeding lots of chocolate to your fuzzbutts.  But
I do not suggest driving to the vet at 75MPH just because your little one
ate some chocolate.  BIG (Not an employee of the Hershey Company :-))]