From:
Shirley Larsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 10:54:12 -0700
This is the background: A friend and I are 'business partners' and have 6
wonderful ferrets.  They have a completely furnished ferret room at each
of our houses and we change their residence once in a while, depending on
our schedules and who is going to be home the most to give them the best
care.

Last winter, we brought two new ferrets into the group of four.  Neither
had any bad health symptoms of any kind.  However, shortly thereafter, we
had a period of time dealing with what we and our very knowledgable vet
thought to be ECE.  In spite of our efforts at isolation, cleanliness,
etc., eventually all of the ferrets suffered the problem to some degree.
Fortunately, everyone survived and now all appear healthy as they play a
lot and do all the other appropriate ferrety things.

These are the questions:

1. Could a change in food change the appearance of the poops?  We have
very gradually switched food from Totally Ferret to Path Valley.
Coincidentally, we have noticed that the poops of all, to some degree,
are more seedy and lighter in color.  The poops are all well formed
and there is no sign of diahrrea except in one little girl who has some
other problems which may be contributing and which we are pursuing with
our vet.

2. In the experience of those of you who have been through the ECE
process, can this disease periodically affect the digestion to this
extent?  If so, does this seem to go on occasionally but over a long
period of time?

I have read and re-read everything about ECE that I can get my hands (and
computer)on.  I would like to hear from people who have actually been
through the experience.  You may answer me at my email if you would like.

Thanks in advance,
Shirley, Liz, Dunkin', Olivia, Mocha, Journey, Loki, and Slick