From:
Dawn Glidden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 20:11:23 EDT
 Hi Barb,
I know how worrying it is to have one of the wee ones ill.  Since we have
a shelter, often when one gets something like a cold or bronchitis others
often do too.

What we do is treat them to a certain extent as we would one of us, sans
the hot toddy of course!

Since where we are in Arizona the air is often very dry, just like it is
in winter in colder climates indoors, we will generally tend to keep
either a vaporizer or humidifier going.  That in itself helps everyone
breathe a little easier.  You might want to consider putting a little
eucalyptus oil or one of the pre-made vaporizer liquids in some cotton
ball type pads near the out vent of whatever type of steam maker you are
using.  I used to just keep an old, big tea kettle going in the winter
with herbs or aromatic oils in the water to help with our breathing on a
back burner of the stove on the lowest setting.  It is often surprising
how it can help.

Something else we have used has been the Ferret Rx, Upper Respiratory
Remedy put out by Marshall.  Just a little dab 'l do ya as a touch on
their nose.  That has often really helped them to sleep and breathe more
comfortably.

Other than that, as long as you are not ill too, extra cuddles and TLC
always go a long way to helping them feel better and know they are loved.

Just remember, this is in addition to your instructions from your vet and
not in place of.

I hope these suggestions help and that your carpet shark is soon on the
road to a full recovery.

Head Ferret Slave,
Dawn  at Hooked On Fuzzies
PS. Remember - the password to life is enjoy.
www.geocities.com/hookedonfuzzies