Date:
Sun, 26 Sep 2010 21:42:29 -0400
Hi FML readers and fuzzy subscribers,

I am a new FML subscriber and I have enjoyed it very much! I am
fortunate enough in life to be able to foster small dogs and now
have three unwanted ferrets in my home!

Through the years I have enjoyed the company of wonderful dogs and one
amazing horse! My home has been graced with two poodles, one is Duncan
my 14+yr old senior and Truffles a 3 yr old foster from Florida Little
Dog Rescue we both fell in love with and kept her. I failed on my 10th
foster dog and kept her, Truffles.

Last year in September I had two ferrets here for a while. I have not
stopped thinking about them or watching them on You Tube. My senior
poodle Duncan absolutely loved those ferrets and would lick them good
morning and good night and even sleep with the deaf boy.

This September has been full of fuzzy blessings! I had just sent and
email out about getting a ferret. Four minutes after that I received
and email from Florida Little Dog Rescue, the agency I foster for, that
they knew of a stray, male, neutered ferret needing a good home. This
was only sent to foster moms in the agency. I immediately replied, I
wanted him and did not even know about him. Well, the big boy was found
at a horse barn in Chuluota FL. (The previous week we had temps 91+) He
walked up to the lady of the barn and rolled over on his back in front
of her. He then was given to a vet tech that happens to work at my
vet's office. We made plans to meet on Sept 1st, to pick him up. I
drove up to Osteen and picked up an approx. 4 yr old, 2lb 11 oz sweet,
sweet boy from her and went to the vet.

I named him Osteen and now he weighs just over 3 lbs. He will just lay
in your arms while you chat or watch TV. After about a week I felt I
needed to get him a friend. Through an incredible agency in Central
Florida I was able to find two sweet girls, 2yrs old and 3 yrs old,
who had lost their mother to cancer. They were thin and wanting to be
loved, since their mommy had loved and played with them very much.
They immediately fit in!

Now, after a play date outside of my home, my senior poodle Duncan
has to check each ferret as they come out of the carrier. When he has
sniffed front and back he gives them a few kisses and I put them in
their cage. He then turns his attention to the carrier awaiting his
next charge to be taken and out and sniffed.

All of my pets from my birth to now have been someone else's trash! All
thrown away! Dogs, horse and now ferrets were all no longer wanted!
There are no better animals to have! It is wonderful to have the ferret
and poodle circus in full swing!

I have a foster dog in the house now and I do not let them interact
with my ferrets. Here is something interesting I observed. The foster
now is a neutered male and has wanted to mess with the ferrets. My
little girl Lil Bit was hacking a bit and trying to throw up. I was
concerned. I picked her up and burped her gently like you would to a
human baby. The puking action stopped and she settled. I noticed the
previously very intense foster dog was very calm and sitting with my
other two dogs waiting the outcome. It is amazing how animals, of all
species, can read a situation. It was not a time for play, but for
calm. I love these animals! We have so much to learn!

May you and your human/hairy/fuzzy families be blessed!

Take care,
Pia, (me) Duncan, Truffles, (dogs)
and Lil Bit, Lilly and Osteen (ferrets)

The foster now is Richard a chocolate poodle!