From:
"FRITZ, GINA M., HMR/US" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 1997 15:18:00 EST
Hi Folks,

I need some expert help.  A friend of mine has two ferrets: One lost all its
hair and the shelter where he dropped it off said if was due to lack of
nutrients.  He was feeding it generic cat food.  Could this be true?

The other one he still has and wants to give away has lost the hair on its
tail and it seems to be spreading down his hind quarters and feet.  I
believe they are both around 2-3 years old, which from what I understand is
too young for adrenal problems.  I met the one that is just starting to lose
it's hair and he has all the symptoms of a "health" ferret.  Dooking okay,
poops look okay, weight okay, appetite seems good, (I gave him some of my
totally ferret and told him I would pick up a bag for him when I was out)
All in all he acts just like my ferrets.

But around the area where he's losing his hair there seems to be tiny scabs.
I don't know if that is the best term for it but when I checked him further
up in his coat he also had them there.  I was told that the ferret he
dropped off at the shelter would always beat up on this one.  So I just
assume that now they are separated the scabs should clear up in a couple of
days if that is what is really is.  Then on his belly down by his private
parts this poor little guy had open sores.  I mean red and raw and there was
kitty litter stuck to the sores.  So I cleaned him up and put a little
Topicort - cortisone cream on and told them to change his litter box to
paper and change it often.  My feeling is it might be do to lack of
cage/litter box cleaning or maybe he is allergic to the litter itself.  I
don't know, just trying to rule out certain possibilities.

I am not an expert by no means.  But I did something entirely stupid and I
hope you all don't flame me but I let him play with my girls.  I know it was
really dumb but at the time I didn't even think about it, I was caught up in
the idea of possibly adopting him.  What if this little guy has a contagious
skin disease or mange.

If anyone can help I would appreciate it.  I would also like to donate a bag
of the total ferret to the animal shelter that has his other one.  I don't
think anyone will adopt a bald ferret.

Thanks

Gina