From:
Rebecca Clayton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 26 Jul 1994 16:03:10 -0400
I'm a novice ferret parent, but I haven't seen anyone mention what
has worked very well for me when my young ferret "play-bites" a little
too hard.  I had tried the "nose-bop" method of discouraging the
painful nips, but that only seemed to get her more riled up.

When she bites too hard (while trying to hide me behind the couch with
her sock collection, for example) I blow air in her face.
She stops right away and looks alarmed.  It's harmless, gets her attention,
and stops the undesirable behavior.

This is a standard technique for pet birds that bite--not an original discovery
of mine.  Just something else to try if other things aren't working well
for you.

Rebecca Clayton