From:
[log in to unmask] (Lisa, Ferret Rescue of Tidewater)
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 1997 19:23:23 -0400
Hi everyone! Gosh its been a while, and I am still catching up on FML's.

Kimberly - as far as distemper vaccinations go, when ferrets are kits, they
need three boosters every three weeks at 8 wks (the breeder generally gives
this one) then again at 11 wks, and finally at 14 wks.  After that, they
only need a yearly booster shot.  Make sure that the vaccine is canine, not
feline distemper.  If you ferret is an adult (over 9mo in age) and has only
had 1 baby shot, I recommend a first shot, then three weeks later, a second.
Then go with the yearly booster.  In the case of distemper, it is certainly
better to be safe than sorry!  Also, remember to stay at the vets office for
a minimum of 30 minutes after the shot, to make sure that the ferret doesn't
have any reactions to the vaccine.

Ok -- I need everyone's help -- I have a unique situation.  A person that I
adopted a pair of ferrets to needs help.  A divorce is imminent, and they
need to place 4 ferrets (either all together or in 2 pairs) and a prairie
dog.  These animals all live together in a series of cages and have lived
together happily for more than a year.  I have seen the 'dog and the ferrets
playing together, and they get along well.  The ferrets range in age from 5
years to 2 years , two sables, one silver mitt and one chocolate.  They come
complete with 2 cages, carrier, and all accessories.  If any of you are
interested, they are located in the Va beach, VA area.  I am most concerned
about the prairie dog, since I have no experience there.  I can take the
ferrets in without too much trouble, but the perfect situation is to place
them all together!

Happy Ferreting!

Lisa