From:
"Ferret Aid Society..." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 May 1999 11:16:31 -0400
While it's true that you can spay females in heat, it is VERY risky.  Have
your vet take blood and check for anemia.  Surgery should not be done if
she is anemic.  We almost lost Thistle this way.  She wouldn't stop
bleeding after surgery and we were going to have to do a blood transfusion.

Thistle did die later, probably due to bone marrow depletion from being
anemic even though we spayed her.

If you can find a V hob, it's great.  If not try the hormone shots 1st.  If
that doesn't work, and you have to spay her, make sure you have a healthy
spayed female on hand in case you need some blood.  If your vet needs info
on blood transfusions, he can call the shelter.  Good luck honey and let us
know how it works out!

R.

The Ferret Aid Society "For the love of our fuzzy friends"
http://www.ferretaid.org

http://www.igive.com/html/ssi.cfm?cid=1383&mid=43897
click here to raise funds for the ferrets,  just by using your mouse!