From:
Lorraine Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 09:24:05 -0700
>From: Anna Chin <[log in to unmask]>
>Question is do I still give her a treat even after she fakes it?

MY ANSWER:  NO

When you first start training her to use the litterbox you may wish to
reward her for faking a couple of times to reinforce "getting in the
litterbox", but wean her off this aspect of treats ASAP (i.e. only do this
for a couple of days).  Once she gets the idea that she's supposed to use
the litterbox only reward her for the wanted behaviour (pooping in box in
this case) or she'll just use the litterbox as a begging spot, and you'll
wind up with probs again.

Your ferret's persepective on this:

step 1 - I get tossed in littter box when I try pooping in corner, but
wind up with treat.  What's with this?

Step 2 - Ohhhh I get it ... if I walk over to litter box and poop in it I
get a treat.

Step 3 - What happens if I fake it in the litterbox?  Maybe I can still
get a treat.

Step 4 (if rewarded for faking) - Aha!  I can fake it in the litterbox,
get the treat, then race over to the corner and poop there!

Good luck!
Lorraine
& Al (nothing beats a nice clean corner)