From:
Gary Merrick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jun 1998 11:09:49 -0700
I've seen some emails regarding various methods of keeping your carpet
sharks from digging at the carpet.  I can't say that I've ever thought of
using a super soaker.  <grin> Why not just haul in the garden hose, or nail
'em with a water balloon?  :-D My method is a little more subtle, but works
for my fuzzies.  I hope it works for your's, too.

Get a good sized container of pepper, or something really irritating to the
nose and/or eyes if it gets in your face.  (I experimented on myself by
sniffing a bit of fine black pepper, and I sneezed about five times!)
I've heard that red pepper can be really irritating, but I don't have any.
Sprinkle a healthy amount in the area that they're digging.  You'll notice
that when they're digging at something, their face is right down there with
their front feet.  Ha!  Perfect!

As soon as they start digging, they get a snoot full of pepper.  (my
sharkies back off immediately, blink a bit, and look around as if to say
"what the heck was THAT?!?" Then they go back for another try, and of
course get the same thing.)

Voila! No more digging!

Be aware that the pepper will eventually work it's way down through the
carpeting, so you'll have to apply more until they stop digging there.

Please let me know if this works for you, or if you found some other
substance that works better than fine pepper.

Good luck!
Gary & Freddy & Peanut