Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2008 00:33:16 -0800
>Subject: Bob C: Ferrets Magazine

Bob, I agree (mostly) - but....one thing is that electronic format
means, electronic.

The same "green" savings and benefits of an online magazine - no more
toxic inks, trees going down, etc. can be equaled by the presence of
computerized magazines.

Now, instead of anyone being able to read it wherever they go, they
must use a computer. Many people do not use "green" computer monitors.
They have to use electricity to see the site, and computers nowadays
are getting into PSU's that are in the 500 to 700 watt range, instead
of the old days of 300 to 400 watt (this is due to better graphics
cards, mostly). Then there is the internet itself - servers, servers,
and more servers - all need room, space, and create heat, use
electricity, and a lot of it. Even when servers use the most efficient
processors, they still generate a lot of heat, and more electricity is
used in trying to reduce that heat.

Computers being thrown away, electronic junk and scrap, are shipped
legally to China sometimes and polluting and poisoning the towns that
employ the populations to sort and melt down the scrap. Even in the
US, recycling is not that popular. Computer parts are often toxic when
recycled.

I agree that some people (younger people) might see this as a change -
but I often go back to the book analogy. Everyone thought e-books were
going to be the future; but without a good e-book reader (and these
cost a lot of money)....who wants to read an e-book when they can have
the real book? I believe people still want to hold items in their
hands; own them. Many people don't want to sit at the computer to read
- they want to take something with them, not have to use batteries or
electricity, worry about cords. I don't have to worry going on a plane
that my magazine or book will break or that the batteries will run out.

I also agree with the notion that it will make ferrets magazine a lot
better. I hope it does :)

Laryssa