From:
Lorinda Baker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 1996 09:34:17 -0500
Hello again!

I have been complaining on the FML of my ferret Squeegy who is still sick
with ECE.  He seems to go in better and worse cycles.  We are going back to
the vet tonight.

I though I had found a great idea yesterday.  I know that some recipies for
duck soup, and other ferret convalescent foods reccommend that you add
Sustacal (similar to Ensure).  I bought some in Squuegy's favorite flavor
chocolate.  Now I know that chocolate is toxic to dogs, and I have always
assumed that it must not be very good for ferrets.  But Squeegy has been off
food and resisting force-feeding, so I have been trying EVERYTHING to try to
get him to eat something.

Well, of course, he loves the Chocolate Sustacal.  He likes the food that I
mixed it with, and he even lapped it straight from the bowl.

My question is this:  does anyone know how harmful chocolate is or isn't
to ferrets?  This brand contains 'cocoa processed with alkali.'  Sounds
scary.

Now Sustacal does not have any milk or lactose. It has all soy proteins.
I thought this was better than KMR (kitten milk replacer) that does have
milk.  Maybe soy is difficult for him to digest because he is not used to
it.  He usually eats a mix containing Marshall Ferret food, 8 in 1 food, and
Science Diet Feline growth.  Do these foods contain soy proteins?

Squeegy seemed better last night, but this morning he was very lethargic.
He did not get out of bed himself.  I did hand feed him, and afterward he
just went right back to bed.  I am so glad we already have the vet
appointment.  I have been so worried about Squeegy for almost a month now.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I really appreciate all of the good
ideas and kind people that I find on FML. :)

Lori, Squeegy the sleepy, and Hoover who likes my new sweater ("I'M wearing
this today!").