From:
Rick Roller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 15:27:52 -0700
I don't understand whatever possessed this man to write such an article.
I have read some pretty idiotic statements and ideas on the FML, but his
blindless bashing of ferret shelters is way out of line.

It was brought to my attention by one of our members.  I don't have allot
of time to read the FML these days, but when I read what he believes is the
norm at most shelters, I was very upset.

His generalization of all shelters into one big hellhole just makes me
sick.  We run a small shelter here.  No, by any means its not spectacular,
but its clean, friendly, and workable.  The visitors are not just caged in
little cages, unless their is a medical reason to do so.  They get plenty
of human contact, playtime, individual and group attention, plus most of
all, they are being cared for by individuals who are making the ferrets
life better than where they came from.

Where they end I don't care as long as its a good home.  I don't run a
shelter with the mentality of getting rid of every ferret as quick as
possible.  In fact several have weaseled their way into my heart and home.
If that makes me and the U.F.O. shelter a bad place, than, I guess it is.
But, I have never heard a complaint about our adoptees.  I have never had
one returned and I have placed every ferret we have received in the past
year we have been active.  (excluding three that had to be put down due to
horrible health conditions brought on by the ignorance of the previous
owners.  That is why we and other shelters hold them for a while, making
sure they are healthy) In all we are at 33 rescued and relocated ferrets.

Does my wife and I do it for any hidden reason?  None that I can really
think of other than it just seems right.  We never ment to start a shelter.
It just happen, as it does with many shelters.  You start a club or
organization to help ferrets and you become a dumping ground for
individuals who don't have the decency to own up to the commitment they
made with the ferret when they brought it home from the pet store.

I will agree that their are some shelters out there that should not be
operating.  But, until Mr. Church is going to open his home to take in all
the abandoned, unwanted, homeless ferrets out there.  He better use his
mouth and comments to show a little more support for the animals he claims
to love so much.

Rick
United Ferret Organization