From:
Minta Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 08:18:07 -0800
 ...I have posted about my daughter and our only remaining ferret,
Ralphie, before.  Way back when, it seems, a million years ago, she was
decent with him and he didn't seem to mind her.  She thought it was
hysterical when he flipped around playing "blanket toss".  Maybe Ralphie
thought she would go away?  I don't know, but now he doesn't like her.
He won't come out of his cage if she is around.  My other ferret Linus
died last March, I think my daugher was a lot easier on Ralphie back then
because we had drilled in her head she could not pick up Linus, he was
old and didn't want to be carried (not by her, believe me).  But Linus
passed away, and whatever protection Ralphie may have derived from Linus
is gone as well.  Or maybe Ralphie has just lost patience.  I don't know,
but we had noticed for a while that he would come out of his cage for a
little bit, investigate under the desk, go check out the laundry room,
see if the gate to upstairs was up or not (it would be, to Ralphie's
disappointment), come back for a blanket toss or two, then high-tail it
into his cage.  Then, he would come out if Audrey was around but for
shorter and shorter times.  Lately, this last couple weeks, it seems like
he won't come out at all!  Even if it's after Audrey's bedtime.

Is he depressed?  We thought briefly about getting him another friend,
but the fact is if Audrey can't keep her hands off Ralphie I don't
foresee the second ferret liking her any more than Ralphie does.  She
really loves Ralphie, don't misunderstand me, in fact she really loves
animals.  But she is barely 3 years old and she just doesn't have the
patience yet.  She is constantly getting scratched by the family cat.
She still goes back to play with her though.  Now Ralphie, he would never
do anything physical to Audrey.  Apparently his way of dealing is to just
avoid her altogether.

Ralphie is 4 now, and I don't want him to be deprived.  He lives in a 2
story cage (with a bedroom in each level), it's a pretty big cage for one
ferret.  It used to house 4 with no trouble.  He's got 2 litter boxes, 2
hammocks, 2 sleepy-sacks and a ball to curl up in.  Maybe his cage is
just too comfortable?

Anyway, if anyone had any suggestions, or any wisdom, such as, perhaps,
kids miraculously get better at handling animals when they turn 3 (that
will happen in 2 months)...I'd love to hear them.  He lives in our
"family room" with the TV, my husband's computer, and the laundry room
right around the corner.  Also some of Audrey's toys though not the good
ones (the ones with rubber).  We take him out for head scratches and
such, he does not look like he is "under the weather", his poops etc.
are all normal.  He eats, drinks, etc.  He was always the first of the
four ferrets to go back into his cage when they were out playing.  He
does like to "hang out" in his hammock and watch people...

Minta & Ralphie