From:
RedWingsNut <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 May 2004 16:34:04 -0400
Victor,

Ferret ownership is allot of fun but it is also allot of work and with
them being illegal in CA, I would suggest you hold off on actually
getting any.  People are fighting to get ferrets legalized in CA but it
is going to be a long battle I'm afraid.

Yes, ferrets can cost allot of money and I think this is something that
to few people realize.  I have had one ferret that had two adrenal
tumors removed and then his spleen.  He died when he was about six.  I
have another with one surgery under her belt and another that I suspect
will need surgery soon.  I can't count the number of times I have rushed
a ferret to the vet or one of them has needed special medication for
various reasons.  My vet bills have been huge but these ferrets are my
responsibility and they deserve the same medical care I would give to
myself.  I spend allot of money on food, litter, toys etc... Please think
about all of this and the fact that ferrets are illegal in CA, before you
make any major decisions.

Also, if you ever find yourself living in another state or ferrets
become legal there, please think about adopting from a shelter.  No, you
probably won't get a kit but you will get a great ferret.  I have four
that are from shelters and one that was from a pet store but that ferret
needed to be taken out of that store ASAP, so I do consider him a rescue.

Yes, much of what you have heard is true but I know I speak for many here
when I say every bit of it is worth it for the love you get in return.

Chris & Fozzie, RC, Hershey, Jimbo and Max