From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 May 2002 19:14:50 -0400
>What do you guys really think of vaccinating ferrets?

So far this year I have found myself comforting people in 8 to 10
households who are dealing or who dealt if the ferrets are all dead now
with canine distemper.  One case involved a one from a humane society
that appears to have contracted it before vaccination.  The rest were all
situations in which the people did not vaccinate their ferrets.  We all
know how hard it is to lose one ferret, or to have some of similar ages
who die within days to months of each other.  Imagine losing all of the
ferrets in your family.  It's horrible, and we still aren't past Spring.

Some of our's can't be vaccinated due to severe reactions to multiple
vaccines or due to their illnesses, but usually we vaccinate.  DO remember
that the Purevax vaccine from Merial is not only less likely to produce a
vaccine reaction from what the current numbers I've seen look like, but
it might turn out to have higher success rate.  NO vaccine or medical
procedure or test is 100%.

>But that's not necessarily true, is it?  I thought a vaccination was a
>precaution, not a safeguard.  I also thought there were more than one
>kind of distemper (bacterial, viral, etc.) and ferrets aren't vaccinated
>against all of them.

Vaccinations are preventatives for specific illnesses, so, of course,
most diseases aren't covered, by definition.  I am sure that folks
realize this.  Also, vaccinations are not 100%, but 95% protected is a
lot better than ZERO% when terrible diseases are under discussion.

>The store where we got our kits (Pet Supermarket) claims that they have
>their own regional holding/distribution center...

Yes. some do, and problems can sometimes arise there, too, beyond
what you list below.

>The strange part is that their MF ferrets come with a STORE guarantee -
>not the MF birth/health papers.  When we asked about this, we were told
>that the "holding center can't keep straight which papers go with which
>ferret, so they don't bother."  How's that for responsible animal sales,

Arrggghhhhhhhhh!  If they can't keep separate areas with the papers in
folders by those cages then how good are they at making sure that all get
enough food and water?

>Whether it's true or not, we don't get the Marshall's papers, so
>among other things, we're guessing the birthdates.
>
>Fortunately, the end location has employees who care about the animals -
>because the corporation sure doesn't seem to.

Better late than never, but still...

The stores/chains which are bad need to be corrected, while the ones
which get it right need to be praised.

Sukie
For ferret health information: