From:
Susan Brown DVM <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sat, 23 Apr 1994 10:34:40 -0400
RE:  Mark & Wheezie and vaccine reaction

Any vaccine can cause a reaction at any time in any animal or person.  My
experience with ferret vaccines, however, is that we have had a rare reaction
with the Fromm D canine distemper vaccine which has been used successfully in
ferrets but is NOT USDA APPROVED for use in ferrets (an important legal
distinction).  Although it is relatively reaction free, there have been
anaphylactic (going into shock) reactions reported to me.  The only USDA
APPROVED canine distemper vaccine for ferrets which is FERRVAC D by United
Vaccine we had a fair amount of stinging reactions with when it first came
out and some anaphylactic reactions, but no deaths.  Since it was first
realeased, the company has reformulated the solution that the virus is put in
(the vehicle) 3 more times.  The current formulation we have had only a very
rare sting with and no anaphylactic reactions.  But that doesn't mean it
can't ever happen.  We have also had anaphylactic reactions with the Imrab by
Pitman Moore which is the ONLY APPROVED RABIES vaccine for ferrets, although
it is a rare occurence and we have had no deaths.  All this just points out
the need to be observant of our pets when they have received treatments or
medications whether they be in the vet's office or at home.  Watch them for
10-20 minutes after the treatment to make sure there is no problem, or that
they didn't vomit up a medication and thus not get any, etc.  Don't just let
them loose on the floor to hide and you will never know what happened.  It is
rare in all animals and in humans to have deaths from current vaccines,
usually the reaction is short term, and with medications such as steroids or
epinephrine, the reaction can be minimized.

RE:  Heartworm medication

In Illinois you need heartworm medication, heartworm occurs in ferrets not by
accident, ferrets are natural hosts for heartworm.  We use either the
injectible form of Ivermectin given orally, or the nice chewable pills of
Milbemycin (Interceptor), once monthly.  In fact, heartworm disease should be
ruled out in many cases of heart disease in the ferret in heartworm infested
areas of the country.  The way to detect heartworm disease in the ferret is
through a CITE test (Blood test) although, if they only have one worm in
their heart or if it is the wrong sex of worm, the test may be negative...but
it is the most sensitive test to date for small amounts of worms (used also
in cats).  The other way is through an ultrasound where the heartworm is
actually visualized in the heart.  Bottom line...use preventitive medication,
it's much easier to prevent than treat.

RE:  Ferret breeders in Illinois

There is no one consistently breeding ferrets in our area (Chicago) that I
know of but there are several people that have ferrets availableat different
times of the year.  Two of them are our technicians at our clinic.  Contact
our clinic (Midwest Bird and Exotic ANimal Hospital, Westchester, IL at
708-344-8166 or FAX to 708-344-8194) and we will see what is available.  You
also might try adopting a worthy ferret through our ferret shelter of the
Greater Chicago FErret Association in Westmont, IL.  Call 708-964-4232.
We need more sources of home raised ferrets that are not neutered prior to
maturity.

RE:  Feeding of carrots

I don't think this is such a great idea.  Ferrets cannot handle the digestion
of fibrous foods well.  If you have to give carrots, grate it first so any
undigested amounts can pass through easily.  Another favorite is banana.  Be
careful not to give more than a small slice.  We had one client several years
ago that decided that if one slice was good, then a third of the banana would
be even more fun.  The ferret came in writhing in agony from a severly
bloated stomach and essentially a blockage of the stomach opening (the
pylorus).  We had to do emergency surgery and  removed globs of sticky,
mucousy banana and fluid from the stomach.  It was an expensive lesson!  The
ferret did fine after surgery and 5 years later has survived chemotherapy for
lymphoma, adrenal and pancreatic surgery and multiple skin tumor removals.
In general, I don't like to give more than 1 tsp/adult ferret/day of a fruit
or veggie type food.  Melon is popular as is cucumber and green pepper.  STAY
AWAY FROM SUGARY STUFF.  I don't even like raisins anymore because people
overdo on those and when the ferrets develop insulinomas (insulin secreting
tumors of the pancreas) the raisins can aggravate the condition with their
sugar content.

RE:  Cystic kidneys

First, I wanted to say that it is so extremely rare to have a ferret chew out
its sutures.  They will lick at them certainly, but to chew them out would
indicate to me some pain or discomfort with the sutures.  I have seen this
reported with steel sutures in ferrets.  Normally we use a small gauge 4-0
nylon suture or small skin staples (which they don't even lick at usually).
Sometimes, dog and cat vets use much larger size suture because that is what
they are used to in those animals and maybe it is a bit irritating.
Ferrets are some of the best animals ever for NOT bothering their sutures.

As far as cystic kidneys...we have at least 6 cases a year of either cystic
kidneys (likely a genetic problem) or hydronephrosis (a fluid filled
enlargement of the kidney) which is usually caused by an obstruction of the
outflow of the kidney (the ureter).  The hydronephrosis in the young neutered
ferret (female always) is due to complications of the spay where they tie off
the ureter along with the stump of the ovary and produce a dysfunctional
kidney.  I highly recommend pathology be done on all these cases, as cystic
kidneys can also eventually affect the other kidney and hydronephrosis is
curable by removing the affected kidney...i.e. they have very different
prognoses.  Most commonly we have seen cystic kidneys occuring in older
ferrets, but when it occurs in the young, we have seen it on both sides and
usually the life span is greatly shortened.  If the other kidney looked
normal, it sounds like you may have had the hydronephrosis condition and
everything should be okay.  There is no special diet other than what has
already been discussed over and over on this board.  You might want to have
kidney function blood tests and a urinalysis done at 6 month intervals for a
couple of years and then annually if all is well after that.
Dr. Williams...any comments on the occurence and etiology of polycystic
kidneys in the ferret??????

Susan Brown, D.V.M.